Thursday, March 3, 2011

Upcycled Dress....

I took a class last night on how to up cycle a sweater or tshirt into a dress or romper at Sweet Cheeks LLC from the very talented Deniece Blasko who owns Wee La Mode Baby Boutique. It was amazing how easy it was to turn a sweater or t-shirt into a new little outfit for your tiny tot. I choose to use a cashmere sweater given to me from a friend and turn it into a little dress for my darling little Rowynn. When sewing I tend to make a few errors from time to time so one thing I did before the class was match my thread exactly with my sweater so it looked pretty great even if I did not sew perfectly straight! I also brought along a garment the size I wanted to make my dress.....I choose an 18 month old cotton Tea Collection dress that will soon fit Rowynn so she can wear the outfit right away. Deniece Blasko mentioned she would soon upload a tutorial of how to do construct this dress on her blog and when she does I let you all know! To top off the dress she showed us all how to make a flower to add to our creation! I choose not to adhere mine to my dress, I choose to glue a pin to the back of mine and pin the flower on because I would not be able to clean my dress with a flower permanently attached. Here are some pictures from start to finish! Enjoy!


Original Sweater...


Folded with all seams aligned


I cut the end of the sleeves off for my own "cap sleeves" for the dress


What My dress looked like after I cut it to size 


 I pinned my sleeves on each side sewing from the end of the sleeve to the bottom of the dress, giving it in A-Lined Shape. I then hemmed up the bottom of the dress to make it the correct size because it was to long to leave the original hem from the sweater.


I used a piece of the bottom of the sweater and sewed it under the v-neck and stiched in the ditched so it looks like it was part of the original sweater and she is not overexposed with the plunging neckline...!


Final Project! Yes!!


 I promise to post a picture of Rowynn in this dress! The flower was made with ric rac, felt and a glue gun......This was a great project and I had a great time! Deniece Blasko was a great teacher she thinks of something to make with all your sweater scraps. If you have time to take a class from her you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment